Wednesday is National Pumpkin Day.
It’s the perfect time to carve a jack-o-lantern with Halloween just five days away.
Here are a few facts from the U.S. Department of Agriculture about pumpkins to celebrate the day:
· All 50 states produce pumpkins
· About half of the produced pumpkins in the U.S. is grown in six states
· U.S. farmers in the top six pumpkin-producing states produced 753.8 million pounds of pumpkins in 2015
· Pumpkin production dropped more than 40 percent from 2014 to 2015 largely due to a drop in acreage planted and harvested in Illinois
· Illinois remained the leading producer of pumpkins by acreage in 2015, with almost 80 percent of acres typically devoted to production for pie filling and processing uses