Update: The TBI said Claiborne County officers arrested 31-year-old David Evans, Jr. Wednesday afternoon.

Officers with the Claiborne County Sheriff's Office along with Tazewell's and New Tazewell's police departments, THP and the U.S. Marshals Service got wind that Evans was at a home on McDaniel Lane in New Tazewell. Officers arrested him after a brief standoff with the use of chemical weapons.

He is being held at the Claiborne County Jail pending a court arraignment on charges for attempted second degree murder, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, felony evading and obsession of a weapon during the commission of a felony.

Jim Fowler, a U.S. Marshal for the Eastern District of Tennessee made the following statement: "We are grateful that Evans was arrested before he could endanger any more lives. The manhunt was truly a collaborative effort that involved federal, state, and local agencies, and Evans' safe apprehension is a testament to the professionalism and selfless dedication of all officers involved."

Original story: June 2, 2017

Claiborne County authorities are searching for a 31-year-old man who eluded a deputy early Wednesday after firing gunshots at him during a chase that ended up in Virginia.

"We still think he's in the area," Claiborne County Sheriff David Ray told WBIR 10News on Friday. "We know that he is heavily armed with weapons that a normal person would not have around their house."

Ray identified the fugitive as David Evans Jr., 31. He was driving a four-door black Kia Amanti with an expired Kentucky license plate of 715-RLM, according to Ray. The car is his; the plate was not.

Evans has ties to Tennessee, Kentucky and Virginia.

"He is heavily involved in narcotics," Ray said.

The chase occurred about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday. Several warrants involving illegal drugs are pending against Evans, Ray said, and authorities suspect he's the same man who ran from them last week.

It was unclear what prompted this week's pursuit.

Evans fired "several rounds" at the deputy while driving, Ray said. The deputy didn't return fire, according to the sheriff.

During the chase, which ended up on a gravel road near the Tennessee-Virginia line, the deputy lost control of his vehicle. He was shaken up in the crash on the road about a hundreds yards into Virginia and suffered bruises, according to Ray. He was treated and released.

Other officers also were taking part in the chase. They came upon the wrecked vehicle and helped the injured deputy.

Anyone with information about Evans' whereabouts is asked to call 911 dispatchers or Claiborne County Sheriff's Detective Tim Shrout at 423-626-3385.

"I expect we will be getting him soon," Ray said. "He's No. 1 on our list."