(WBIR) Even though he was hit in the face by buckshot, a 73-year-old Hamblen County man managed to hold an armed suspect, who tried to rob his granddaughter's home, at gunpoint until deputies arrived.

Don Grubb, 73, said when he went outside to see why his dog was barking late Saturday night. He noticed a car traveling slowly down his road, then parking near his barn. He grabbed a shotgun from his house, told his wife to call police, and headed towards the barn.

While inside his barn, Grubb heard noises coming from the neighboring house, which happened to be his granddaughter's home, who was away on vacation. He hid near the barn, waiting for the two men to leave the house. When Clyde Webster and Tyler Trivett came out of the front door, Grub was ready.

"I told them not to come no further," Grubb said.

Instead, Webster fired a round from his shotgun at Grubb, who shot back. A round of buckshot hit Grubb in the face and shoulder, fracturing his jaw.

"It was pouring, the blood. There was blood all the way down to my knees," he described.

In total, Grubb and suspects exchanged 11 shots. The suspects then ran away.

"Who would have known they were going to shoot me? I didn't know they had a gun. That's the last thing I would have thought about - someone shooting at me. I would advise anyone to be real careful. I wasn't careful enough," Grubb said.

Minutes later, Webster, 21, returned to the property to get his car; Grubb was waiting. The 73-year-old held Webster at gunpoint, forcing him to lay in the middle of the street until deputies arrived.

Shortly after the incident, deputies found Trivett, 23, who was hiding under a camper three miles from Grubb's property.

During an interview, investigators said Webster and Trivett revealed they knew the granddaughter and her family were on vacation because they knew her husband. Officials said they also discovered the two suspects burglarized a home in Cocke County earlier that night. Law enforcement managed to recover two shotguns, a knife and a hatchet stolen from the Hamblen County home along with all the property from the Cocke County house.

Authorities charged Webster and Trivett for aggravated burglary, aggravated assault, and theft of property over $500. Deputies also found marijuana in Webster's car, so he's also facing simple possession of marijuana.

Both suspects were arraigned Monday morning.

They will appear back in court on June 19.