In honor of Mother's Day, we wanted to share just how much moms do for their kids. So we decided to put Abby, Russell and Mike to the test to see how well they know moms.
How many moms are in the U.S.?
- ANSWER: There are 85 million moms in the U.S. according to data from the U.S. Census Bureau.
When was the first Mother's Day?
- ANSWER: In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed the first Mother's Day and asked the public to say thank you to their moms for all they do.
How much money do parents spend on a baby in its first year?
- ANSWER: Parents spend $12,000 on their babies in the first year according to a 2010 USDA report. Diapers, formula and baby food alone cost around $50 a week.
What is the greatest number of children born to one mother?
- ANSWER: According to Guinness World Records, a Russian woman had 69 babies in the 1700s. There were 16 pairs of twins, seven sets of triplets and four sets of quadruplets.
How much is a mom worth?
- ANSWER: Salary.com says moms are worth $143,000. But can you really put a price tag on all they do for us?
How many loads of laundry does the average mom do in a year?
- ANSWER: According to happyworker.com, moms do 330 loads of laundry a year on average. 88 percent of the laundry in the household is done my moms.
How much sleep does a mom lose during a baby's first year?
- ANSWER: According to a sleep specialist, it can add up to 350 hours or more during the first year. Parents of newborns lose about two hours of sleep a night during the first five months.
About how many diapers will a mom go through by a baby's first birthday?
- ANSWER: If you change a diaper eight times a day, the number comes to just shy of 3,000.
How much does it cost to raise a kid through age 18, not including college?
- ANSWER: According to a report released by the Department of Agriculture earlier this year, parents will spend about $233,000 raising a child born in 2015. Childcare costs account for more than $37,000.