Connecting Hearts is a new partnership between WBIR, Mobile Meals and Second Harvest Food Bank.
Sign Up: Volunteer Application
An an extension of the existing Mobile Meals program for seniors, it will pair local volunteers with local at-risk seniors, offering weekly companionship and grocery delivery. As part of the program, the qualified seniors will get a weekly bag of groceries along with a 1-hour visit from a group of volunteers at least once a week.
You can also help by purchasing certain food items and dropping them off at the following time and locations. WBIR staff will be there to collect the donations this weekend, and to sign up volunteers.
Connecting Hearts food drive - Friday, October 27, 2017 from 1-5 p.m.
Kroger Fountain City - 5201 N. Broadway Street
Kroger South Knox - 4409 Chapman Hwy.
Kroger Powell - 234 E. Emory Rd.
Kroger Bearden - 4918 Kingston Pike
Approved food items for Connecting Hearts:
- Canned fruits/vegetables/beans (pop top)
- Individual Fruit cups (juice packed)
- Peanut butter
- Crackers (Ritz, Wheat Thins, Saltines)
- Macaroni and cheese (individual serving cups)
- Canned soups (Reg. or Low Sodium) Individual serving cups or pop top
- Tuna or Chicken Pouch style or pop top
- Cereal (Whole grain
- Instant Oatmeal/Grits/Cream of Wheat- Individual packs
- Granola bars or breakfast bars (prepackaged)
- Vegetable/Juice boxes or bottled juices (non-refrigerated)
- Milk boxes (individual or powdered) Non refrigerated
- Boost or carnation instant breakfast (bottled or powdered)
- Nuts/Trail Mix
- Dried Fruit (Prunes, raisins etc.)