It’s a picturesque scene on Cherokee Lake, where children come to swim and fisherman to cast their lines.

But along the water’s edge, a horrifying crime interrupted the tranquility.

“It was a real windy march day more typical for around here,” recalls Chief Andy Dossett.

Once a peaceful spot for the former Bean Station Police Chief, since March 7, 2007, it's never been the same.

“It's with me, it's been with me since the day it happened,” said Dossett.

That day, fishermen discovered the body of 75-year-old Harold Bolick, shot in the head.

"I can’t drive by here that I don't think about Mr Bolick and his family,” said Dossett.

Bolick was from nearby Morristown, a businessman well known for his work in the church.

”From all accounts just a really good person. But as far as enemies go, that is something we just couldn't find,” explained Dossett.

Dossett’s team along with the TBI began tackling the city's first murder in history with very little to go on.

“It was odd from the beginning to be honest with you, we didn't have a car here, we didn't know how this body arrived at this location but it was obvious that that there was some serious foul play,” said Dossett.

They pieced together Mr. Bolick’s day from start to finish. In the morning, he dropped his wife off at the Morristown mall, with the promise to pick her up.

He then went to his church to volunteer, but after he left there the trail goes cold.

“There are a lot a blanks that need to be filled,” said TBI’s Leslie Earhart.

“The question may be was he alive when he was here. or did he arrive alive or was he deceased at that point?” wonders Dossett.

Down the road, police found Bolick's green Buick at a boat access point, his wallet dumped in the lake with credit cards and cash gone.

“We do know that he was shot in the head from behind at close range, so we feel that this is a situation where someone was intent about robbing him,” said Earhart.

It was a crime scene just a few feet away from a heavily traveled roadway, but no one reported anything.

“The biggest hindrance had to be that we didn't have a witness,” said Dossett.

Today, investigators are intent on finding that final missing piece

“Someone may have very well seen the killer,” said Earhart.

“This person is still out there. So if they did this once, there's a good possibility that they wouldn't hesitate to do it again.”

Mr. Bolick's widow died just a few years after his death. The couple had no children.

In 2007, Governor Phil Bredesen issued a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest that still stands today.

Chief Dossett now works for a different agency, but after 10 years of driving past this point that still haunts him he’s ready to see justice.

"Doesn’t matter that he doesn't have any living family,” said Dosset. “I’ll never forget it, and when I drive by here it always reminds me of him.”

If you have any information this case contact TBI at 1-800-TBI-FIND