Babalu Tacos and Tapas shared this recipe with us to celebrate their first anniversary in downtown Knoxville! It serves 4-6 people.
Braised Pork Butt
- 1/4 cup salt and pepper mix
- 1 Boston butt - fatty side scored
- 1 garlic clove - smashed
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 large yellow onions - quartered
- 4 cups orange juice
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/5 tbsp chicken base
- 1/4 cup Canola oil
Evenly coat pork, including any folds, with rub, which consists of salt, pepper, garlic clove, bay leaves and Kosher salt.
Place Canola oil on a flat top or pan and sear all sides of the pork butt until you have a golden brown crust.
Place the pork in a large roasting pan.
Add all remaining ingredients, and cover with plastic wrap & aluminum foil.
Cook at 300 degrees for 8 hours.
Place pork on a sheet tray to cool & shred.
Roasted Peanut Slaw
- 1/2 cup cilantro - chopped
- 1 cup green onion - chopped
- 1 1/4 lb green cabbage - julienned
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts - chopped
- 1/2 cup wet coleslaw base
Place dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix evenly. Toss in wet mix ensuring all cabbage is evenly coated.