Tomato Head's Johnny Cakes
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 3/4 - 1 cup boiling Water
- In a medium bowl mix together cornmeal, salt and sugar.
- Add boiling water and stir well to moisten the cornmeal.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1/3 cup of vegetable oil, and drop cornmeal mixture by the spoonful into the hot skillet.
- Using the back of the spoon, flatten each cake slightly.
- When the edges begin to brown, flip the Johnnie Cakes over and cook until lightly browned (4-5 minutes per side)
- Serve immediately with butter and maple syrup.
Makes 8 – 10 cakes.
Presented by: Tomato Head