Allison Bolt, a Knoxville-based, home organization expert,
appeared on 10News at Noon to explain some advice for those of us trying to clean up the house this spring.
First, she offered these tips for getting it all done:
1) List out projects and the length of time you think it will take to complete them.
2) Prioritize and schedule projects
3) Prepare for the big clean up
4) Consider year round "spring cleaning." Bolt has a full plan for that as well, see below.
5) Be realistic, don't expect perfection
If you get overwhelmed every year during the spring, maybe you should plan on cleaning the big things year round; Bolt recommends tackling a project every month.
Here's her suggested plan:
January - filing cabinet, medicine cabinet
February - Hard to reach places (behind the refrigerator, stove, washer/driver, etc.)
March - closets and drawers
April - Windows, garage
May - Linen closet, ceiling fans and light fixtures
June - Curtains & blinds
July - Pantry, shampoo carpets
August - Playroom/toy box
September - Oven, home office
October - Freezer, gutters
November - Floors, baseboards
December - Christmas decorations