Before the announcements about the future of now Lady Vol Head Coach Emeritus Pat Summitt and new Head Coach Holly Warlick were made public, both signed agreements with the university outlining their new duties and roles.
According to Summitt's one year agreement, she will be paid $354,375 for her duties as Head Coach Emeritus. She will also get an office, an assistant, and basketball seats for home and away games.
Her duties and responsibilities are also clearly outlined:
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Liaison to the Director of Athletics.
2. Advisor to women's basketball; participate in permissible activities related to women's
basketball (see permissible list).
3. Serve as advisor to the Southeastern Conference on women's basketball issues.
4. Assist development office and athletics department with men's and women's basketball
locker room enhancement project and other projects as identified.
5. Serve as mentor to all Tennessee athletic department coaching staffs.
Permissible Basketball Related Activities
Practice and Competition
• Observe practice.
• Participate in general staff meetings.
• Analyze team or opponent video.
• Analyze game or practice activities with members of the coaching staff.
• Enter the women's basketball locker room during half-time and after games as long as
the team and individual players are not instructed.
• Engage in all components of on-campus recruiting in women's basketball and other
sports. Be present at on-campus meals; communicate with recruits and their families.
• Send letters, emails or handwritten notes to recruits in women's basketball and other
• Attend official visit meals and functions within 30 miles of campus, including hosting a
prospect for a meal at a staff member's home.
• Accompany a coach to airport to bring a prospect to campus for an official visit.
• Personal mentoring.
• Life skills coaching.
The University also agreed to pay Summitt a million dollar bonus that she was due in her 40th year of coaching. The contract amendment says the University feels it is appropriate to award the bonus, based on Summitt's many contributions Summitt has made to UT and the sport.
Holly Warlick signed a Memorandum of Understanding, agreeing to a salary of $485,000 dollars a year for the next four years. She'll also get performance bonuses, for championships and achieving other goals, and a car.