Knoxville fire investigators on Tuesday said that a fire at a Sequoyah Hills home appeared to have been an accident.
The large fire broke out around 10:30 p.m. Monday.
The house is located on Boxwood Square just east of the intersection of Kingston Pike and Cherokee Boulevard.
Firefighters left the scene around 2:30 a.m. Tuesday, but returned when a neighbor reported seeing smoke around 9:00 a.m. Tuesday. Firefighters said the parts of the home were smouldering.
The couple that lived in the home told firefighters they were going to bed when they heard fire alarms go off Monday night.
They made it out of the house safely, but four cats remained missing Tuesday according to fire department spokesperson DJ Corcoran.
Firefighters said the fire appears to have started on the first floor, then traveled up the walls and the second floor was damaged extensively. The roof of the home was destroyed.