Grand jury finds Morristown police officer justified in fatal shooting

1:48 PM, Mar 5, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

The Morristown Police Officer who fatally shot a suspect in August was justified in his actions, according to a Hamblen County grand jury.

Officer Dustin Jones has returned to full duty.

Previous story


Investigators believe the fatal shooting of a man by a Morristown Police officer was justified.

Wednesday night, Chief Roger Overholt says a juvenile called 911 saying that there was a man with a gun at a house on Elm Street that was threatening suicide.

When officers arrived just before 8:00 pm, they identified Joseph Weeks, 23, and began trying to talk him into putting the gun down.  At one point, Overholt says Weeks was preparing to surrender to his officers.

Then, Overholt says  Alkini Thompson, Weeks' girlfriend, "engaged in a physical altercation" with Weeks and the two began struggling.  Weeks still had the gun in his hand, and officers feared for the safety of Thompson and several others at the home, including two juveniles.

Officer Dustin Jones fired two shots at Weeks, hitting and killing him.

After the shooting, Thompson was arrested.  Overholt says she hit her 12-year-old daughter, who she believed called 911 to the home.  Overholt could not confirm if the girl was the one who placed the call.  She and the other juvenile at the home were taken into state custody.

Thompson was charged with child abuse and neglect, and phone harassment, for phone calls she made to a relative earlier in the day.

Officer Jones is on 24 hour administrative leave, which is standard procedure.  Chief Overholt believes his officer took the necessary action in this case.

Morristown Police and the TBI are still investigating.

Previous story

One man is dead after he was shot by a Morristown Police Officer.

Officers were called to Elm Street in Morristown out after a call came into 911 of a man threatening to shoot himself.

The TBI has identified the man as Joseph Weeks, 23.

When officers arrived the man had a handgun and was fighting with a woman.  When the suspect refused orders from officers to put down the weapon, they fired two shots striking the suspect.

He died on the scene.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation was called to assist investigators in the incident.    

Most Watched Videos