The dorm at the Sunset Gap Community Center in Cosby burned Sunday night.
Cocke County Sheriff Armando Fontes says the cause of a fire that destroyed a Cosby dormitory was lightning, according to witnesses.
The fire happened last Sunday night at a dormitory across the street from
the Sunset Gap Community Center in Cosby. According to the Executive
Director, the fire was reported around 8:45 p.m. and spread quickly
through the two-story, wooden structure.
No one was inside at the time of the fire.
The dormitory was built in 1928 and housed
visiting church groups traveling to the area to perform outreach projects.
The fees to rent the building help to fund the community center, dorm and
outreach ministry. Without the dorm, the center might have to close
Donations to help the community center may be made by calling 423-623-4313.