A Townsend motel is shut down after city officials found several health and safety violations inside the building.
The Family Inns of America motel at 7239 East Alexander Parkway was padlocked on Friday.
City officials went through the 40-unit building on Tuesday with the fire marshal and city codes inspector and found several health and safety violations.
The roof leaks badly, mold is everywhere and the smoke detectors don't work, police chief Ron Suttles said.
The building is structurally sound, but the interior needs to be re-done and the roof needs to be replaced.
The health department and the convention and visitor's bureau have taken several complaints about the motel, Suttles said.
The Townsend Police Department has responded to several reports of theft, fights and drug overdoses at the motel in the past three years.