A husband and wife made it out safely of their home filled with smoke on the 5800 block of Sanford Rd. early Thursday morning.
According to a press release from the Knoxville Fire Department, firefighters arrived to the home around 5:40 a.m. to find the couple had left the home after calling 911.
Firefighters located the fire in the ceiling and attic area near the chimney.
Crews shut down power to the home and removed the ceiling and exterior siding around the chimney to extinguish the flames.
The fire was out around 5:50 a.m.
A fire department spokesman says the couple was lucky to make it out safely since there were no smoke alarms to alert them.
Free smoke alarms are available, courtesy of the Knoxville Fire Department by calling 595-4672.