Tenants at Ridgeview Apartments in Sevierville are being told their water could make them sick. The notice came after one of the renters had the water tested and it came back positive for E. coli.
Denise Hayle has lived at the apartment complex for three years and said she became very ill one night.
Hayle said, "My glands swelled up one night with pressure under my jaw, up to my head, and I felt like my brain was swelling that night."
Hayle went to the doctor and was prescribed antibiotics. She later noticed something very strange in her dog's bowl.
"In my dog's water I found sediment, like someone had dropped cigarette ashes in it," Hayle said.
Hayle isn't the only person who became suspicious of the water at Ridgeview Apartments. Lisa Kelley said she noticed something funny when her grandson moved into the complex back in October.
Kelley said, "When he first moved in we helped [him and his wife] move into the apartment and there were problems with the water then. It smelled terrible."
Curious to find out what was going on, Hayle had the private well water tested. Results showed the water tested positive for E. coli, a bacteria that can harmlessly live in your body; however it can cause severe abdominal cramps, bloody diarrhea, and vomiting. E. coli can also be life-threatening.
Property Manager Marty Huddleston emailed the following statement:
We were notified about the well water contamination by a tenant who received a copy of the water test results ordered by the tenant in unit [redacted]. The tenant in unit [redacted] provided the test results to all other tenants but refused to provide test results to the property manager.
We took the following action immediately after receiving the test results:
- Notified all Tenants with front door posting to boil water before drinking
- Scheduled a company to disinfect the well
- Provided a $50 rent credit to all tenants to purchase drinking water until the well could be safely disinfected
We plan to test the well monthly and provide results to all tenants until the situation is resolved. Post disinfected test results will determine further action on our part. A permanent solution will be implemented if warranted.