12 ounces whole-wheat wide noodles
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 ½ cups sliced carrots
1 ½ cups sliced celery
(optional) 1 ½ cups chopped spinach (frozen and thawed, or fresh)
1 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon minced garlic
about 3 cups cooked rotisserie chicken, shredded
1/3 cup cornstarch
4 cups low-fat milk
5 tablespoons hot sauce
3/4 cup crumbled low-fat blue cheese (about 4 ounces)Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Bring a Dutch oven of water to a boil. Cook noodles until barely tender, about 2-4 minutes less than package directions. Drain, rinse and set aside.
3. Heat oil in the pot over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, spinach, onion and garlic and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add chicken until warm. Whisk cornstarch and milk in a medium bowl; add to the pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often, until bubbling and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in hot sauce.
4. Spread the noodles in a 9-by-13-inch (or similar 3-quart) baking dish. Top with the chicken mixture; sprinkle with blue cheese.
5. Bake the casserole until it is bubbling, about 30 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
• Make Ahead Tip: In Step 2, cook the noodles 4 minutes less than package directions. Prepare through Step 4, cover and refrigerate for 1 day. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, then bake at 400°F for 45 minutes.Presented by:
Lee MurphyDate Aired:
April 11, 2013