LIVE VIDEO: Fox 43 10:00 News    Watch

Elderly man, attempted rescuer sent to hospital after East Knox house fire

4:56 PM, May 3, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Two men were transported to UT Medical Center for smoke inhalation after a house fire Friday afternoon.

According to the Knoxville Fire Department, a fire broke out at 4327 Skyline Drive in East Knoxville just before 4:00 pm. Two men mowing nearby saw smoke coming from the home. One called for help while another ran inside the home to look for an elderly resident.

The elderly resident, who firefighters say was bedridden, was found in the basement, and the man who ran inside to help passed out in the driveway. They were both transported to the hospital.

KPD says the fire apparently started in the basement and appears to be electrical in nature.  The fire was contained to the basement level of the home, with smoke damage throughout.

KFD spokesman, Captain D. J. Corcoran, offers this advice, "Never attempt to go inside a burning structure, it is safer to wait for the fire department to arrive. Remember, we have safety equipment which allows us to enter a burning structure safely."

Most Watched Videos