Yields: 44 Ladyfingers
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 Eggs, separated
- Granulated White Sugar: 2 Tablespoons and 3/4 cup
- All-purpose Flour: 7/8 cup
- Baking Powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place egg whites in bowl and beat on high until soft peaks form. Add 2 tablespoons sugar and continue beating until stiff and glossy. In a another bowl beat egg yolks and 3/4 cup sugar. Whip until thick and pale in color.
- Sift flour and baking powder together on a sheet of wax paper. Fold half the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Fold in flour, and then add the remaining egg whites. Transfer mixture to pastry bag and pipe out onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 8 minutes until golden brown.
- Adapted from: Roxanne at www.allrecipes.com
Yields: Serves 10 to 12
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 7 hours
- Boiling Water: 2 cups
- Instant Espresso Powder: 2 Tablespoons
- Granulated White Sugar: 1 Tablespoon and 1/3 cup
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 2 Egg White
- Mascarpone Cheese: 28 oz (approximately 3 1/2 cups)
- Dark Rum: 3 teaspoons
- Ladyfinger Biscuits: 40-44 ladyfingers
- Cocoa Powder (unsweetened): 1/8 cup + 2 Tablespoons for additional sprinkling if desired
- Stir together boiling water, instant espresso powder, and 2 tablespoons sugar until dissolved. Set aside to cool.
- Beat egg yolks and 1/3 cup sugar until thick and pale in color. Mix mascarpone cheese by the spoonful to the egg yolk mixture, beat until smooth.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg whites into the mascarpone cheese mix, continue to stir and add the rum. Set mascarpone cheese mix aside.
- Once the espresso has cooled, quickly dip both ends of each ladyfinger into the espresso mixture.
- Line the bottom of a 13- by 9- by 3-inch baking pan with 18 to 20 ladyfingers, trimming edges to fit if necessary. Spread half of the mascarpone filling on top of the ladyfingers.
- Dust with desired amount of cocoa powder. Repeat the following steps again to create a 2nd layer. Chill, covered, at least 6 hours. ENJOY!
- *After chilling, sprinkle with additional cocoa powder if desired.