A Crossville woman died from injuries Friday after she and two others were found unconscious in a burning apartment, according to Crossville Deputy Fire Chief Chris South. Two others are in critical condition at Vanderbilt Medical Center's burn center.
The fire started Wednesday night when the apartment's refrigerator electrical wiring caught on fire, South said.
The apartment, located on Dunbar Avenue in Crossville, was part of a three unit building. Other residents evacuated safely.
When firefighters arrived, there was heavy smoke coming from the building. Residents on scene alerted firefighters that people may be inside one unit.
Firefighters found three adults unresponsive in the apartment's bedroom: 57-year-old Debrah Ann Monday and 58-year-old Steven McNamara, and Monday's daughter, Channa Brown, 31.
Firefighters transported the three victims to Cumberland Medical Center with burns and severe smoke inhalation. Not soon after, they were taken to Vanderbilt Medical Center. Monday passed away Friday from her injuries. Brown and McNamara are in critical condition, according to South.
South said Crossville Fire Department was on scene within 2 minutes of the call and the fire was out within 8 minutes.
South said there were no working smoke detectors in the apartment.