Rural Metro FD: Lightning sparks house fire

12:40 PM, Aug 1, 2013   |    comments
  • Rural Metro firefighters battle house fire on Gatewater Lane. (Courtesy:Jeremy Tucker)
  • Rural Metro firefighters battle house fire on Gatewater Lane. (Courtesy:Jeremy Tucker)
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Update 1:16 p.m.

(WBIR-West Knox County) Rural Metro firefighters said lightning more than likely sparked a house fire in west Knox County Thursday morning.

At one time, crews along with 11 fire trucks responded to the fire at 12000 block of Gatewater Lane.

Rural Metro Fire Chief Jerry Harnish said the damage inside the home was consistant with a lightning strike.  

Harnish said the homeowners were not inside the home when the fire started shortly before 8 a.m. Within an hour crews arrived on-scene, they contained the fire.

No injuries were reported in this incident.

Firefighters also responded to a second incident at Waterside Lane in west Knox County at about 8:39 a.m. The homeowner said lightning struck a tree in his backyard. The lightning then bolted through the ground, traveled through the sprinkler system into the house.

The incident did not spark a fire in the home, but it did damage the electronic system as well as some appliances.

We will keep you updated on 10News and as we learn more.

Editor's Note: Based on the information given to us at this time, we originally reported that lightning sparked a fire at the Waterside Lane house. We later learned from the homeowner that lightning actually struck a tree and caused electrical damage in the home.

Most Watched Videos