(WBIR-Oak Ridge) A lightning strike caused significant damage to a home in Oak Ridge Wednesday afternoon.
Oak Ridge firefighters responded to house fire on Royal Troon, which crews believe was sparked by lightning. Officials estimated the incident caused about $10,000 worth of damage to the home.
No one was injured in the incident, but the homeowners had to relocate until repairs are done.
"There was a loud thunder clap that shook the house, and the lights in the kitchen went off. Moments later I noticed smoke coming out of the vent and actually saw flames also," the homeowner told firefighters.
Oak Ridge Fire Department Chief Darryl Kerley said in a release it appears the lightning traveled into the home either by the electrical system or natural gas line to the fire place.
"We were unable to determine which occurred first: the electrical situation or the gas line rupture. However, the hole in the gas line accelerated the fire between the floor joists," said Chief Kerley in a release.