By Susan Davis, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON--A new use-of-force resolution proposed in the Senate
would set a 60-day deadline for military action in Syria, with one
30-day extension possible, according to a draft of the resolution.
proposal, drafted by Sens. Robert Menendez and Bob Corker, the chairman
and ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, will also
bar the involvement of U.S. ground forces in Syria, according to the
"Together we have pursued a course of action
that gives the President the authority he needs to deploy force in
response to the Assad regime's criminal use of chemical weapons against
the Syrian people, while assuring that the authorization is narrow and
focused, limited in time, and assures that the Armed Forces of the
United States will not be deployed for combat operations in Syria,"
Menendez said in a statement.
The resolution could be voted on by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee as early as Wednesday.
in the House, Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., and Gerald Connolly, D-Va.,
introduced a draft resolution that would limit the duration of
President Obama's authority to 60 days.
It also specifically
prohibits any American forces on the ground in Syria and restricts the
president from repeating the use of force beyond the initial punitive
strikes unless Obama certifies to Congress that the Syrian forces have
repeated their use of chemical weapons;
Earlier on Tuesday, Obama
said he was open to lawmakers rewriting his resolution seeking
authorization for the use of force, which was criticized as too broad in
scope by lawmakers on both sides of the aisle.
"I would not be
going to Congress if I wasn't serious about consultations," Obama said.
"I'm confident that we're going to be able to come up with something
that hits that mark."