Timothy Batts' bond revoked; case bound over to grand jury

Judge James Hunter revoked the bond of Timothy Batts, charged in the Aug. 8 shooting death of his 11-year-old daughter Timea.

Batts was remanded back to police custody immediately following Wednesday's court appearance.

Timothy Batts' bond revocation hearing

10:57 a.m.: Caseworker at Timothy Batts' probation office said it took Batts nearly an hour to submit a large enough urine sample suitable to conduct drug screen.

11:00 a.m.: Probation employee said once drug screen was positive for cocaine, he asked Batts about cocaine use, which he denied.

11:02 a.m.: Second Community Corrections probation employee said Batts called office at 8 a.m. and asked for protocol about drug screen. Batts asked for more time to submit urine sample in order to finalize Timea's funeral arrangements.

11:10 a.m.: An Aegis Laboratory Director has been qualified as an expert in the collection of drug testing.

11:22 a.m.: Lab director says level of cocaine in Batts' system indicate he used drug within three days of testing.

11:33 a.m.: Attorney John Pellegin said Batts has passed all other drug tests since being out on bond.

11:35 a.m.: Prosecutor Katie Walker said Batts has shown disregard for court's rules and "poses a danger to the community."

11:38 a.m.: Batts' attorney said there is "zero proof" that Batts is a flight risk.

11:45 a.m.: Judge Hunter said original bond conditions were put in place due to Batts' criminal history, along with video surveillance collected.

"I can do nothing ... I can bump it back up... Does it do any good? ... I can put more conditions on him. I don't know what conditions I can put on him," Hunter said. "I'm concerned about the drug use."

Timothy Batts' preliminary hearing

Judge James Hunter finds probable cause, bounds Timothy Batts' case over to October session of Sumner County Grand Jury.

10:23 a.m.: Hendersonville Detective Chris Gagnon takes the stand in Timothy Batts' preliminary hearing. Gagnon said he met Batts at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

"By the time I got (to Timea's treatment room), the child had passed," Gagnon said.

Detective Gagnon says weapon used in shooting was recovered at a Waffle House in Nashville.

10:29 a.m.: Gagnon said he made contact with Batts' stepfather, who brought Batts to Hendersonville Police Department.

10:31 a.m.: Detective Neal Harris takes the stand. Harris said he spoke with Timea's bus driver who was able to rule out possibility Timea was shot upon exiting the bus.

10:33 a.m.: Harris said upon entering house, he spotted a red substance on the door frame consistent with blood. Shoes belonging to a small child, along with a backpack, were in the kitchen. A 40-caliber shell casing was found in the bedroom at the base of the bed, the detective said. A bullet was found in the wall.

10:37 a.m.: Harris said shooting was called into dispatch at 2:57 p.m. on Aug. 8, but it was "several hours" before he made contact with Batts.

"He said the gun he had was his cousin's," and had been left at the home several days prior, Harris said.

Harris said Batts told him that if he told the truth about what happened that he would have been arrested on the spot and he wanted to be with Timea as she received treatment.

10:44 p.m.: Four videos from ADT were recovered that showed portions of the shooting. Cameras appeared to be motion activated, Harris said.

Harris said first video clip showed Batts arriving home at 2:44 p.m. talking on a cell phone with gun in hand, second clip shows Timea walking in the door from school. Third clip shows Timea injured, while the fourth clip shows Batts reentering the house to grab shows and another unidentified object, Harris said.


A Sumner County judge will determine Wednesday if Timothy Batts will return to jail after violating his bond conditions after being charged in his 11-year-old daughter's death.

Hendersonville police say Batts, 29, shot his daughter Timea after the girl came home from her first day of school on Aug. 8. Investigators said Batts told them at least two versions of what happened. He initially told police Timea arrived at the family's Shady View Drive home from Knox Doss Middle School and stated she'd been shot. The father later said he was taking a nap and thought she was an intruder, according to an arrest affidavit.

Wednesday's hearing will examine what led to the shooting, as well as the status of Batts' release from jail.

During an Aug. 12 court hearing, Hendersonville Detective Neal Harris said surveillance video from inside Batts' home show him armed with  a gun while talking on the phone moments before the shooting. Police said a search of the home revealed the weapon used had been removed from the residence.

Detectives said Timea suffered a gunshot wound to the torso and that Batts drove Timea to Hendersonville Medical Center,. From there she was transported to Vanderbilt University Medical Center and died of her injuries within two hours, investigators said.

Batts faces charges of reckless homicide, false reporting, tampering with evidence and possessing a firearm as a felon.

He was released from jail on the night of Aug. 12 after Judge James Hunter lowered his bond from $1 million to $500,000. On Aug. 15, Batts took a drug test as part of his bond conditions. Four days later, the results indicated he had cocaine in his system. Attorney John Pellegrin requested a second, independent drug test, a motion granted by Judge Hunter.

Timea had been described as a "bright and kind girl" loved by her teachers and peers, schools officials said. Those who knew her said she loved to play softball and design clothes, as well as the color pink.

In the hours following the incident, neighbors and strangers brought stuffed animals and balloons to the family's home for a candlelight vigil. Timea's funeral was held Aug. 16 at Mt. Zion Baptist Church in Nashville.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment