(WBIR-Knoxville) A family of eight escaped their house early Sunday morning after a fire sparked near the front door.
According to D.J. Corcoran, with the Knoxville Fire Department, three adults and five children were displaced after a fire around 2:30 a.m. at their home on the 2700 block of Johnston Street.
KFD said a passerby spotted the front porch burning, stopped and banged on the door, and alerted the family members who were sleeping. The family made it out safely before firefighters got to the scene.
Corcoran said the fire appears to have started near the front door and climbed through the walls into the attic. He said since most of the fire was outside and in the attic, smoke alarms didn't have a chance to sound.
KFD said folks should consider placing a smoke alarm in attic areas, and in some cases, crawl spaces.
"We have answered a few call such as this one, where fire invades spaces where alarms are not present. The Knoxville Fire Department will install smoke alarms free of charge by dialing 311," said Corcoran.
The American Red Cross is assisting the family.
No injuries were reported.