3.5 cups Self-Rising Flour
1.5 cups Buttermilk
1 1/2 cups 2% Milk
2 large Eggs
2 Tbs.Vegetable Oil
1/4 cup Sugar
2 Tbs. Vanilla
6 tsp. Yellow Food Color
1 tsp. Red Food Color
Orange Zest-1 Orange
2 Tbs. Orange Extract
Cream Cheese Icing As Needed
1) Gather all ingredients. Pour milk, buttermilk, vanilla, oil and eggs into mixer.
2) Set mixer to Low speed. Turn on mixer and then add sugar while mixing.
3) Turn mixer to OFF position
4) Add flour to liquid
5) Mix on Low for 1 minute, then mix on medium for 30 seconds.
6) Should be consistent color and smooth with small lumps. DO NOT OVERMIX!
7) Remove mixing bowl and pour pancake batter into container. Use a spatula.
8) Measure out 6 tsp of yellow food color into batter
9) Measure out 1 tsp of red food color into batter
10) Add "zest" from one orange or 2 Tbsp of orange extract may be substituted for the
11) Mix for about 30 seconds and batter is ready
12) Ladle on about 1/3 cup of batter onto a preheated griddle (400 degrees), cook for
about 3 minutes on each side.
13) Place 3 cakes, one on top of the other, "straight up"
14) Using Icing, make lines going vertically and horizontally in a checkerboard shape.