Update 8:43 a.m.
Snow and ice covered mainly secondary roads Friday morning. Crews had worked into the night covering main roads and highways with salt.
The following is a list of East Tennessee and southern Kentucky counties with respective road conditions. This list will be updated throughout the morning.
Here is an up-to-date list as of 8:36 a.m. courtesy TDOT:
- Sullivan: roads in good shape, most roads are drying
- Washington: roads in good shape, most roads are dry
- Unicoi: roads pretty good shape and starting to dry in places, roads are being treated in places
- Greene: clearing, roads dry or drying, light accumulations in higher elevations, all roads treated
- Hamblen: clearing, roads dry, all roads treated
- Hawkins: roads are dry or drying, some accumulation in higher elevations,
- all roads treated, few shading spots may be slick
- Hancock: roads are dry or drying, some accumulation in higher elevations on pavement, particularly on north side of Sneedville, all roads treated, few shading spots may be slick
- Interstate I-81 good shape
- Interstate I-26 Unicoi County snow in a few spots traffic moving good
- Cocke: flurries roads have been treated, Higher elevation getting light snow,
- , Treating I-40 ramps
- Grainger: flurries, roads wet, icy spots on bridges and overpasses
- Jefferson: flurries, roads wet, treating icy spots.
- Knox: clear ,crews are out
- Interstates: I-140, I-75,I-40,I-640,I-275, traffic moving. Use Caution on bridges and overpasses
- Sevier: Snowing , roads are being treated.
- Union: flurries, roads clear, crews on standby
- Anderson: , roads clear , crews on stand by
- Roane: roads slick in few spots, but crews are out treating roadways as needed
- Morgan: No precipitation, roads damp but have been treated, crews on standby to treat any slick spots
- Monroe: No precipitation, crews headed to clear SR 165 to NC line, other SR's clear at this time
- Loudon: No precipitation, roads are drying and crews are on standby to treat any slick spots
- Blount: No precipitation, roads are wet but drying, crews are headed to SR 115 (US 129) to clear the Mountain to the NC line
- Campbell County-I-75 Flurries, icy spots
- State routes- Flurries, icy spots
- Claiborne County-Flurries, icy spots
- Scott County-Road drying, still icy spots
Update Friday 5:45 a.m.
- Anderson Co.- Andersonville has some slick roads
- Bell Co., KY- Pretty slick roads
- Blount Co.- no reported problems
- Campbell Co.- back roads are covered in snow and slick
- Claiborne Co.- no problems
- Cumberland Co.- back roads are very slick
- Fentress Co.- back roads and main roads are slick
- Grainger Co.- back roads are slick
- Jefferson Co.- no reports of bad roads
- Knox Co.- main roads are fine, some secondary roads are slick
- Loudon Co.- no reported problems
- Monroe Co.- mountain back roads are rough
- Morgan Co.- back roads are icy and snow covered
- Roane Co.- pretty clear - no reports
- Scott County- backroads are slick the main highways are still pretty slick even though they have been salted
- Sevier County- no answer
- Union County- the main roads are in pretty good shape, tdot has been salting them, the back roads are in bad shape
- Whitley County- no reports since 11:00 p.m. last night
Rain changed to snow Thursday evening as a fast-moving system moved through, leaving behind much colder temperatures.
The system allowed the ground temperatures to chill quickly, with black ice being reported underneath a thin coating of snow on many secondary roads late Thursday night.
The biggest problems were in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Newfound Gap Road (Hwy. 441) from Gatlinburg to Cherokee was closed because of snow and ice. Crews were working to get the road passable so visitors who are parked at the trailheads could get back down.
In addition, Foothills Parkway East between I-40 and Cosby was also closed due to snow/ice.
The snow began to taper after midnight, making way for clearing skies and very cold conditions in the middle teens by daybreak. Secondary and neighborhood roads were expected to still be slick and icy in some areas early Friday morning, as well as untreated bridges and overpasses.
Here was the latest information from TDOT about interstates and highways in the region, and the efforts to treat them, as of 12:30 am:
Johnson: roads have snow in places and other places are slush, roads are being treated
Carter: roads are white in places and white in the mountains, are being treated
Sullivan: roads have some snow in places, roads are being treated
Washington: roads are snow covered places, roads are being treated
Unicoi: roads are snow covered, roads are being treated, traffic is moving
Greene: light flurries, roads dry or drying, light coating in higher elevations, all roads treated
Hamblen: light flurries, roads dry or drying, all roads treated
Hawkins: roads are black, light accumulation higher elevations on grass, all roads treated
Hancock: roads are black, light accumulation higher elevations on grass, all roads treated
Interstate I-81: good shape
Interstate I-26: Unicoi County snow covered traffic moving
Cocke: Snowing heavy on SR 32 from 0-12MM, SR 339 0-3MM, and SR 73 0-3MM crews out salting, Higher elevations getting heavy snow, other parts of county light snow. Crews are out salting
Grainger: Snowing, roads wet, crews salting all roads, retreating cold spots and bridges
Jefferson: Snowing, roads wet, crews have salted roads, retreating SR # 9, Sr 139, SR34, SR92 , SR 35, and I81 from 0-1 log mile has patches of snow and ice.
Knox: flurries, icy spots, roads are being treated. I-140, I-75,I-40,I-640,I-275, have been treated but have icy spots. Use caution on bridges and overpasses
Sevier: snow, roads covered, roads are being treated and plowed
Union: Snow, wet roads, being treated
Anderson: Roads are drying
Roane: Light snow, a few roads with slick spots in places but crews are out treating roadways as needed
Morgan: Flurries, patches of snow and ice in spots but crews are out treating roadways as needed
Monroe: Snowing, some snow on SR 165 and SR 68 but crews are out treating roadways as needed
Loudon: Snowing, some icy spots but crews are out treating roadways as needed
Blount: Snowing, most roads in good condition but lightly snow covered on SR 73 in the Townsend area but crews are out treating roadways as needed
Claiborne: No precip, spotty snow on all routes and treating
Campbell: I-75 snowing and treating slick spots, state routes-snowing, treating slick spots
Scott: Snowing, all routes have spotty snow, treating roads