Update Wednesday afternoon:
The Knox County Medical Examiner's Office has released the name of the child killed in the fire at a South Knoxville apartment complex Monday.
Three-year-old Makha Johnson has been positively identified by the medical examiner's office.
Johnson's mother, whose name isn't being released by fire investigators, was also rescued from the apartment. She remains hospitalized. Her condition is not known.
Update Tuesday evening:
A fire at a South Knoxville apartment complex that killed a three-year-old child was caused by carelessly discarded smoking material, investigators have determined.
Knoxville Fire Department Capt. Darrell Whitaker said Tuesday evening that they determined it was an accidental fire caused possibly by a match or cigarette.
Shortly before 11 p.m. Monday, firefighters found a mother and child unconscious from smoke inhalation on the second floor of One South Place Apartments. Crews carried the two to the front parking lot to perform CPR, according to the KFD.
The three-year-old child later died.
Whitaker said the fire started on the second floor balcony where that mother and child lived. The fire then traveled up the exterior wall and into the attic area.
The fire displaced 38 residents. The American Red Cross is assisting the residents with temporary shelter.
Some residents said they did not have any warning to get out Monday night and did not hear any type of alarm or smoke detector.
"There was no lights flashing," said Amber Brewer, who was inside the burning building. "There was nothing."
Amy Myers, who lives in the building next door, said, "We didn't hear any smoke alarms. You know, we didn't hear anything."
Capt. D.J. Corcoran, public information officer for Knoxville Fire Department, said there would have been two alert systems that would notify residents. There are manual pull fire alarms located in the common breezeway areas near the apartment staircases, and the individual units have their own smoke detectors.
According to the fire inspection report, the fire alarm system at the complex is certified and was manually activated by pull station at 10:40 p.m. and 10:51 p.m.
Corcoran said this would mean that people in the burning building would have seen flashing lights or heard an alarm by then.
"If somebody pulls that, initiates that alarm, then it will sound an alarm in all of the units," Corcoran said.
According to the report, Whitaker noticed the alarms were working when he arrived on scene at the complex, although the report does not specify what time this happened.
Corcoran said the smoke detectors in the individual units are not designed to work all at once.
"I'm in unit one let's say, and you're in unit 12," he said. "I burn my beans at three o' clock in the morning. Someone in unit 12 doesn't need to know that or be disturbed about that."
Since this fire started outside the building, Corcoran said that could also be a reason as to why people may not have heard smoke detectors go off.
"If someone was in one of the back units and there was a fire up here in the front unit and no one had pulled that common alarm in the breezeway," he said, "then those people in the back would not have heard an alarm."
Corcoran said the apartment complex was inspected less than two years ago and was up to code at that time.
Authorities have not released the name of the victim as of 5:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Firefighters found a mother and child unconscious from smoke inhalation on the second floor of One South Place Apartments at 1321 Bertie Rand St. shortly before 11 p.m. Monday.
Crews carried the two victims to the front parting lot so authorities could perform CPR, according to KFD. Authorities then took the two to the University of Tennessee Medical Center. Crews took at least one other person to the hospital too.
The fire displaced 38 residents. The American Red Cross is assisting those with temporary shelter.
KFD wrping up aftr a 2 alrm fire, 1321 Bertie Rand St., One South Place Apts. 2 victims pulled frm fire, snt to hspt. 38 resdnts affected. pic.twitter.com/77h2yZUJGK— Knoxville Fire (@KnoxvilleFire) April 11, 2017
The cause of the fire is unknown as of Tuesday morning, but it remains under investigation, according to KFD.
Original Story on Monday, April 10, 2017: A mother and 3-year-old child were taken to University of Tennessee Medical Center late Monday after fire broke out in a South Knoxville apartment complex, fire authorities said.
Names and conditions of the two people were unavailable late Monday, Knoxville Fire Department Capt. D.J. Corcoran said.
CPR was performed on the two after they were pulled unconscious from an upper-floor apartment at the South Ridge complex at 1321 Bertie Rand St., according to Corcoran.
A third person who reported suffering smoke inhalation was taken to Fort Sanders Medical Center with injuries not considered to be life-threatening.
Firefighters forced their way into a second-floor apartment to get to the mother and child, according to Corcoran.
Fire authorities were notified about 10:40 p.m. of the blaze. It was under control by 11:23 p.m., according to Corcoran. A second alarm was then called, signaling the need for more equipment and personnel, because of the size of the fire.
A KFD fire station -- No. 10 -- is located on Sevier Avenue a short distance away from the complex so firefighters were able to quickly respond.
Corcoran said arson investigators were standing by -- which is routine -- to begin investigating the cause, which was unknown as of 11:30 p.m. Monday.
The building has 24 units. It was unclear late Monday how many people would be displaced.
Firefighters reported fire damage from the second floor up through the attic and extensive water damage below.
PREVIOUS STORY: Knoxville Fire Department units responded Monday night to a fire at a South Knoxville apartment complex.
The call was dispatched about 10:40 p.m. to the South Ridge complex in the 1300 block of Bertie Rand Avenue near Sevier Avenue. Units arrived shortly after.
Bertie Rand Street was closed, according to the Knoxville Police Department.
Dispatchers said firefighters were alerted to a fire in the attic of the three-story wood structure.
Some residents were believed to be in second-floor units.
KFD said a chaplain was on the scene.
KFD Chaplain working an apartment fire Bertie Rand— Knoxville Fire (@KnoxvilleFire) April 11, 2017
© 2017 WBIR.COM