Teen pleads guilty to accidental shooting death of high school wrestler

(WBIR) After a teenager who accidentally shot and killed a high school wrestler pleaded guilty in a juvenile courtroom Tuesday, the victim's family told 10News justice was not served.

Officials charged the teen, who was 17 years old at the time of the shooting, with delinquency pursuant to criminally negligent homicide in the death of 17-year-old Skyler Daniel Boring, according to Kenlyn Foster, the Blount County Assistant District Attorney.

Foster said the District Attorney's Office considered trying the teen as an adult but decided not to because there "weren't adequate factors to try to transfer it into adult court." Since this was a juvenile case, Foster said she couldn't provide any additional details about the plea.

"Justice was not served. He was not punished. Not even probation. No community service." said Judy Mincey, Boring's Grandmother. "He never offered one word of comfort or condolence. I didn't see any remorse anywhere in his demeanor yesterday. None."

The shooting happened on May 28, 2013. A helicopter flew Boring to the University of Tennessee Medical Center where he died a short time later, according to officials.

"My daughter had to clean the blood of her son out of the backseat of his car. They didn't even impound the car," said Mincey. "I didn't just lose a grandson, I lost a daughter. She is a shell, she's lost so much weight. She can't sleep. She can't eat. It's just been a nightmare."

RELATED: A year after son's death, mother breaks silence looking for answers

Boring graduated from Heritage High School days before his death. The 17-year-old was co-captain of his wrestling team and was planning to attend culinary school, according to his mom.

"Nobody passed by Skyler Boring that was not his friend. The high school counselor said everyone, every group, thought he was a part of their group. He was a good, smart kid," said Mincey.

Boring's grandmother said the family felt disappointed and betrayed, trusting authorities would do diligence to the case.

"He killed my grandson. He never spent one night behind bars. Not one. And that's supposed to be justice?" asked Mincey. "We waited and waited to see if charges would be filed. Then finally they were. We knew he wouldn't get jail time but if you get pulled over for a DUI, you'll at least spend a night in jail."

Mincey said the family didn't get answers they were expecting to learn in court.

"I guess I thought he (the teen shooter) would have to stand up in court and say what happened. But that didn't happen," said Mincey. "We still don't have an autopsy. We still have been told different locations of where the shooting happened. My daughter doesn't even know the accurate location of where to go and grieve."

Amy Boring, Mincey's daughter and Boring's mother, filed a civil lawsuit against the shooter and two other people for $1.5 million.

"We are still hoping to add other people to the lawsuit," said Mincey. "It's not about the money, it's about justice."

10News reached out to the shooter, but were unable to reach him for comment. Since juvenile court documents were unavailable, we were not able to confirm whether punishment was handed down, but Mincey said he would not be able to join the military or work for the government.

"So he can't work for the FBI? This is not justice. This is a travesty."


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment