Morgan Co. pet crematory owner facing formal charges

(WBIR) The owner of a pet crematory, where investigators found dozens of dead dogs and cats in mass graves, is facing formal charges.

According to court documents, a grand jury indicted Cameo Farr on three counts of violating the state's hazardous waste management act. Under that act, people can't dump solid waste in a landfill that doesn't have the proper permits. Farr is also facing a misdemeanor for violating Tennessee's air pollution control act. Investigators said Carr knowingly lied about how she was burning materials and her certifications, which are required to get a permit.

She has already posted bond and is out of jail, according to the Morgan County jail.

BACK STORY: Pet crematory owner investigated for dumping animals

Farr owned Elliot Pet Services in Morgan County. In December, investigators uncovered the remains of animals on her property that were supposed to be cremated. The next month, Farr surrendered her permit to perform pet cremations.

Friday, 10News sat down with a West Knox County woman who said she trusted Farr, and wanted to give her a second chance, despite the allegations.

"She cremated and made paw prints for two of my dogs in past years. And in fact, she delivered them to me personally," said Donna Farnham. "So when Sandy died, I felt like what she was telling me was true.

Farnham said Farr had told her it was a neighborly dispute, and claimed the allegations were false. Farr's attorney had told 10News a similar story back in December.

"I'm the kind of person that will give someone the benefit of the doubt. So I believed her," said Farnham. "She said she would take very good care of Sandy, and have her back by Christmas. I gave her the money and as she was leaving I gave her a hug and I said 'Please, take care of my baby.'"

Farnham said Christmas came, and she never heard back from Farr, despite dozens of phone calls.

"I left message after message after message. She made it seem like she really cared, and she didn't," said Farnham. "I paid for the ashes, which is $150, and two paw prints, but I never got them."

Sandy, a golden retriever over 16 years old, passed away in December after a stroke paralyzed her from the neck down.

"She was a member of our family. There's no closure," said Farnham. "To the other people, it breaks my heart because I know how hard it is for me to not have her ashes. And it makes me think she and other dogs were just thrown in piles."

10News reached out to Farr's attorney several times Friday, but our phone calls were not returned.

An initial complaint in September from a neighbor, who said they smelled a strong odor from the property, prompted an investigation. TDEC said Farr rescheduled six times before an investigator inspected the property.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment