KNOXVILLE - If you are planning to deep fry your turkey for Thanksgiving, local firefighters encourage you to follow a few tips to do stay safe.
On Thursday, Rural/Metro firefighters demonstrated the right and the wrong way to use a turkey fryer.
You know what happens if you do it right--- a delicious meal!! If you make a mistake, there's a risk of fire and serious injury.
Rural/Metro offers these tips:
- Read and follow the fryer's included manufacturer's instructions and warnings
- Be sure the turkey is completely thawed
- Never leave the fryer unattended
- Keep an eye on children and keep them away from the fryer
- Do not use the fryer with 20 feet of anything combustible, including your home, trees, vegetation, etc.
- Do not use on a wooden deck or in a garage
- Find a flat, level surface at least 20 feet from your home
- Always wear long, flame-resistant gloves when operating the turkey fryer and for safety never cook alone
Most of East Tennessee is currently under a burn ban, but turkey fryers are okay, as long as they are properly used.
If you live in Knox County and want to make sure it's okay to use a turkey fryer, call 865-215-5900.
(© 2016 WBIR)