Roane State's Oak Ridge Campus is offering a 10-week course in conversational Mandarin. The course is ideal for anyone planning to travel or work in China. Students will learn how to communicate in everyday situations and will learn about Chinese art and culture. After completing the class, students will know approximately 300 vocabulary items and 150 characters. The course begins Sept. 26, and will be held on Wednesdays from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at the Oak Ridge Campus, 701 Briarcliff Ave.
Critter Kids Program at the Knoxville Zoo
• Knoxville Zoo's Critter Kids programs introduce preschoolers to the world of wildlife with special hands-on learning sessions that keeps them engaged and excited.
• Offered throughout the fall, Critter Kids programs are specially designed to appeal to the interests of 2 through 5 year-olds, and will explore animal facts on a kid-friendly level.
• Sessions are offered for 2 and 3-year olds on Tuesdays, and will be held on September 25, October 2, 9, 16 and 30, November 20 and 27
• Sessions for 4 and 5-year olds will be offered on Saturdays and will be held on October 13 and November 3.
• Programs run from 9:30 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. and feature stories, crafts, and visits from zoo animals.
• A snack and drink are provided, and each child must be accompanied by an adult.
• Single sessions are $20 per child or three sessions for $50.
• Zoo members receive a $5 discount on single sessions and $10 off multiple sessions.
• Adults attend free with a paid child. All sessions are held indoors, rain or shine.
• Preregistration is required and can be made by calling Knoxville Zoo's Education Department at (865) 637-5331, ext. 350 or ext. 374. For more information, visit the zoo's web site at www.knoxvillezoo.org
National Muscadine Festival
September 28th & 29th 2012 in Sweetwater, Tennessee
10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Tsali Notch Vineyard
Activities at the Vineyard including:
• Jelly Making Demonstration
• Story Telling
• Wagon rides through the vineyard
• Muscadine Picking
7:00 p.m to 10:00 p.m. in Downtown Sweetwater Live Music with SouthBound
Vendors and BBQ cookers begin
Taste Of Autumn
Gatlinburg swings into fall in the most delightful way as dining and dancing will highlight Gatlinburg's Taste of Autumn on Thursday, September 27 at the Gatlinburg Convention Center.
Attendees can enjoy unlimited sampling from 20 participating groups featuring some of the best foods and drinks to be found in the Smoky Mountains! Live jazz music will be provided for dancing and listening enjoyment from 5 to 8 p.m. as Millie Palmer Jazz brings their timeless sound to this important United Way of Sevier County fundraiser.
Tickets are $25 (children under 7 are free).
Attendees can sample unlimited offerings from some of the area's finest restaurants and attractions. This year's participants include: Calhoun's, Calhoun's Catering, Charles Richard Resources, The Cheese Steak Factory, Cherokee Grill, Coca-Cola, Climbworks Canopy, Dick's Last Resort, The Fox and Parrot Tavern, Gigi's Cupcakes, Hard Rock Café, Mellow Mushroom, Ober Gatlinburg, Park Grill Steakhouse, The Park Vista Doubletree Hotel, Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies, Smoky Mountain Brewery, Smoky Mountain Ice Cream & Fudge Co., Smoky Mountain Winery and Sugarland Cellars.
Proceeds go back into the community with no deduction for overhead for United Way. The United Way of Sevier County focuses on improving lives by involving our communities to create lasting change in community conditions.
Tickets are available at the Gatlinburg Chamber of Commerce Office at 811 E. Parkway, Home Federal Bank Gatlinburg, Sevier County Bank Gatlinburg, Gatlinburg Welcome Centers on the Spur and at the Aquarium as well as on-line at www.Gatlinburg.com. Tickets may also be purchased over the phone by calling 865-436-4178.
The Park Grill Steakhouse
1110 Parkway in Gatlinburg, (865) 436-2300 or visit parkgrillgatlinburg.com
Happy Birthday, Luke!
If you'd like to help local mom collect photos to her son serving in Afghanistan visit www.facebook.com/LiveatFiveatFour'