Alcohol was on the ballot in ten East Tennessee counties on election day, and those measures passed in all but one of them.
Voters in Anderson, Campbell, Claiborne, Grainger, Jefferson, Monroe, Morgan, Roane and Sevier counties all said yes. Fentress County was the only county where the proposal for retail package stores was defeated by just 130 votes.
The successful measures included alcohol by the drink, laws to allow retail package stores, and wine in grocery stores.
Cities must first have liquor by the drink before they can ask voters to approve wine in grocery stores.
For the cities that passed wine in grocery stores measures last night, the next step is to apply for a license with the Tennessee Alcoholic Beverage Commission.
Each store that wants to sell wine has to fill out the paperwork and pay an application fee of $400 dollars.
It typically takes between two days and a week for the stores to get their licenses.
State officials say they've seen a big increase in the number of licenses.
"Obviously it's a big change in the market with our retail package stores that we've licensed. And we continue to see growth in licenses all over the state as a result," said Zack Blair, assistant director for Tennessee ABC.
After the stores get the license, it is up to them to decide when the wine will actually hit the shelves.
How they voted:
- Consumption on the Premises City of Oliver Springs for 580-487
- Consumption on the Premises City of Rocky Top for 224-180
- Retail Package Store Referendum City of Rocky Top for 224-180
- Consumption on the Premises City of Blaine for 385-321
- Consumption on the Premises City of Jellico passed 392-327
- Consumption on the Premises City of New Tazewell passed 503-336
- Consumption on the Premises Sevier County for 16,540-9621
- Retail Package Sales City of New Market for 303-221
- Retail Package Store Fentress County against 3595-3464
- Wine at Retail Food Stores City of LaFollette passed 1112-609
- Wine at Retail Food Stores City of Jefferson City for 1397-509
- Wine at Retail Food Stores City of Madisonville passed 1139-640
- Wine at Retail Food Stores City of Rockwood passed 1372-662
- Wine at Retail Food Stores City of Sweetwater passed 1372-662
- Wine at Retail Food Stores City of Tazewell passed 426-210
- Wine at Retail Food Stores Town of Dandridge for 754-206
- Wine at Retail Food Stores Town of White Pine for 500-237
© 2017 WBIR.COM