Knoxville man killed in fire that his twin brother escaped

A 19-year-old man has died after a fire at a mobile home park in west Knoxville on Saturday morning.

According to the Knoxville Fire Department, firefighters pulled Mark A. Jernigan from the laundry room of a burning mobile home at 2719 JR Drive. Crews worked to revive Jernigan on the scene and at the hospital, but he died of smoke inhalation.

His twin brother was able to escape the fire on his own. He was treated for mild smoke inhalation.

Firefighters believe the fire started near or around the dryer.

This is the first fire related fatality for the City of Knoxville this year.

Previous story

(WBIR) Two 19-year-old men were inside a mobile home when a fire sparked in their laundry room in west Knoxville Saturday morning.

Crews responded to the mobile home fire on the 2700 block of JR Drive at about 8 a.m.

Knoxville Fire Department spokesperson D.J. Corcoran said one of the men was able to get out of the mobile home. Firefighters had to pull the other man to safety, and he's currently being treated for smoke inhalation at the hospital.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment