Voters in ten East Tennessee counties have alcohol-related ballot measures up for vote on election day.
Towns in Anderson, Campbell, Claiborne, Fentress, Grainger, Jefferson, Monroe, Morgan, Roane and Sevier counties will all consider approving expanded alcohol sales in some way.
Some ballot questions are to approve the sale of liquor in package stores, or by the drink. Others will vote on whether to allow the sale of wine in grocery stores.
On Tuesday, voters in Jefferson City expressed mixed opinions on the referendum to approve wine in grocery stores.
"There may be people afraid to go in a liquor store because they've never been in one," said Tony Wiggins, the manager of Volunteer Spirits in Jefferson City. "But they might see it in a grocery store, buy wine, and try it. And then they become a fan of wine and come to our store too."
Rev. Debra Shultz is the executive director of Rescue 180, a substance abuse coalition for Jefferson County.
She worries more liquor availability could correlate with excessive drinking rates.
"Availability and accessibility do cause problems," she said. "Whenever [alcohol] is made more available to our youth, we get very concerned about that."
Here's what is on the ballot in those counties. We'll update this story with the results as they come in on election night:
- Consumption on the Premises City of Oliver Springs for 580-487
- Consumption on the Premises City of Rocky Top for 224-180
- Retail Package Store Referendum City of Rocky Top for 224-180
- Consumption on the Premises City of Blaine for 385-321
- Consumption on the Premises City of Jellico passed 392-327
- Consumption on the Premises City of New Tazewell passed 503-336
- Consumption on the Premises Sevier County for 16,540-9621
- Retail Package Sales City of New Market
- Retail Package Store Fentress County against 3595-3464
- Wine at Retail Food Stores City of LaFollette passed 1112-609
- Wine at Retail Food Stores City of Jefferson City for 1397-509
- Wine at Retail Food Stores City of Madisonville passed 1139-640
- Wine at Retail Food Stores City of Rockwood passed 1372-662
- Wine at Retail Food Stores City of Sweetwater passed 1372-662
- Wine at Retail Food Stores City of Tazewell passed 426-210
- Wine at Retail Food Stores Town of Dandridge for 754-206
- Wine at Retail Food Stores Town of White Pine
(© 2016 WBIR)