Two shot near Tenn. Navy base, suspect in custody

A Navy base in Tennessee was temporarily locked down Thursday afternoon following a shooting incident in which two National Guardsmen were wounded by a fellow Guardsman.

CNN reported that a National Guardsman got into a fight with two other Guardsmen just outside the base at about 12;45. One reportedly pulled a gun, shooting one man in the foot and the second in the leg, according to Memphis TV station WMC-TV. Both victims were hospitalized, although the Navy says neither has life-threatening injuries.

The lockdown ended about 90 minutes following the incident after a suspect was taken into custody He was detained by National Guard employees until Millington Police arrived. A law enforcement official who was not authorized to discuss the case publicly told the Associated Press that the shooter was a recruiter who had been relieved of duty.

The sprawling base, known as Naval Support Activity Mid-South, is located in Millington, near Memphis, and is one of Tennessee's largest employers. More than 7,500 military and civilians work at the facility, which serves as a center for Navy personnel, logistical support, recruiting and as a finance center for the Army Corps of Engineers.

Thursday's incident comes just six weeks after Aaron Alexis fatally shot 12 people and injured three others in a mass shooting at Navy Yard in Washington, D.C. Alexis, a government contractor and Navy veteran, died during a gunfight with police.

Previous story

MILLINGTON, Tenn. (AP) - U.S. Navy officials say a suspect is in custody after a shooting on Navy property at a facility in Tennessee.

A tweet on the Navy's official Twitter page says Naval Support Activity Midsouth in Millington, near Memphis, is on lockdown. One person is in custody, according to the Navy.

WMC-TV in Memphis reports that the two victims are in non-critical condition.

A Navy recruiter who had been relieved of duty shot two people at a Navy base north of Memphis and was quickly taken into custody, according to a law enforcement official who had been briefed on the developments.

The injuries were not life-threatening, said that official and another official, both of whom spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the investigation publicly.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment