A neighbor came to the aid of a man who accidentally set himself on fire Thursday morning.
According to Knoxville Police, they were called to the Knob Hill Apartments around 8:50 am.
The man, who KPD says is paraplegic, mentally handicapped, and lives alone, told investigators that he was trying to clean his stove when the accident happened. He said he forgot there was a burner on, and it caught his shirt on fire when he reached over it.
He got outside in his electric wheelchair where another resident got him on the ground and put the fire out, then called 911.
The man was taken to UT Medical Center with second and third degree burns on his right arm and back.
His name will not be released until his family has been notified. KPD is in contact with the victim's case worker at Adult Protective Services.
The Knoxville Fire Department responded to a fire call at Knob Hill Apartments in north Knoxville Thursday morning.
According to a KFD spokesperson a man in his mid-30's accidentally set himself on fire.
The fire victim was taken to UT Medical Center to be treated for burns. At the time of this posting, it was not known how severe his injuries are.