Southern Living is looking for the top tailgaters in the south, and the University of Tennessee is in the running!
The fifteen finalists in "The South's Best Tailgate" competition are featured in the magazine's September issue, which hits newsstands on August 23.
"In the South, pre-game celebrations matter as much as what happens on the field," said Southern Living Editor-in-Chief Lindsay Bierman. "We're asking readers to decide which school best honors our great tradition of Southern hospitality with the most stylish and spirited spread."
Fans will ultimately decide the winner. You can vote once a day on their website until September 30. One vote per person per day is counted toward the final tally, and votes cast on Saturday count twice. Voters are entered daily for a chance to win $2,500 toward an ultimate tailgate. Southern Living will crown the winner of "The South's Best Tailgate" at a home game this fall.
Here are the contenders, and Southern Living's descriptions of each:
- Appalachian State University: Small conference. Big spirit. Plus, a scenic mountain setting.
- Clemson University: Can the 2012 winner clinch the title once again?
- Florida State University: Palm trees and Florida sunshine. Jealous?
- Louisiana State University: LSU kneauxs how to have fun. Bring on the crawfish!
- Marshall University: The Thundering Herd goes big - and home and away.
- Oklahoma State University: A tailgating crowd that has quadrupled in the past decade.
- Texas A&M University: Johnny Football can play the game. But can he tailgate?
- University of Alabama: No ticket? No problem. Thousands come for the pre-game action.
- University of Georgia: Game day is serious in Athens, and not just between the hedges.
- University of Mississippi: The Grove at Ole Miss finished a close second in our 2012 contest.
- University of Tennessee: Have riverfront stadium, will tailgate - on boats.
- University of Texas: Don't mess with the Longhorns' Texas-size tailgates.
- Vanderbilt University: Preppy tailgate central: bow ties, blazers, and pearls.
- Virginia Tech: Hospitality reigns: Away fans always feel welcome.
- West Virginia University: Coonskin caps and crowds in perpetual John Denver sing-along.