Soup is filled with lots of health benefits, which can help you lose weight.
Eating well is one of three lifestyle choices a statewide movement, initiated by Gov. Bill Haslam, is encouraging. It's called Healthier Tennessee starTNow.
Here's how soup can lead to a healthier lifestyle:
In one study, people consumed the fewest calories on days when they ate soup instead of the same ingredients in a solid form. This is because of the high water content, which can help you feel full. Soup is also a good vehicle for vegetables. The fiber in vegetable can also help you feel fuller for fewer calories.
Kasey Reed with The Soup Kitchen demonstrates how to make Southwest Chicken Soup, which is great for a healthy meal.
- 1 pound cooked and cubed chicken breast
- 1 large onion
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 cup diced green peppers
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup uncooked rice
- 3 cans black beans no drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
1) Saute chicken, onion, black pepper, garlic powder, ground cumin, chili powder, and diced green peppers.
2) Add one quart of chicken stock and uncooked rice.
3) When rice is tender add add chicken, black beans (not drained), frozen corn, and crushed tomatoes.