Chef Mark McKinney demonstrates how to make seared sea scallops.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup key lime juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds jumbo sea scallops
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 10 ounce fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a saucepan; cook 4 minutes or until mixture thickens. Cool slightly.
While paprika mixture cooks, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Pat scallops dry with paper towels; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Add scallops to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan; keep warm.
Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil and garlic to pan; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add half of spinach; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add remaining spinach; cook 2 minutes or until wilted. Stir in 1/8 teaspoon salt.
Divide the spinach mixture evenly among each of 4 plates, and divide scallops evenly among servings. Drizzle paprika mixture evenly over scallops; sprinkle 1 tablespoon pine nuts over each serving.
Yields 8 servings as an appetizer, 4 as entree