For the biscuit:
- 2.75 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tbl sugar
- 3/4 tsp. Salt
- 1 Tbl plus 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- In a medium bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.
- Cut butter into dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or 2 knives.
- Stir in buttermilk until a soft dough forms.
- Pat dough down into a greased 12 inch pie dish or cast iron skillet.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
For the topping:
- 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 3 Tbl lemon juice
- one 16 oz package frozen corn kernels
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Black Pepper
- 1 cup Cooked Bacon chopped
- 6-8 Roma Tomatoes
- Fresh Basil – julienned
- Slice tomatoes into ¼ inch slices.
- Set aside.
- Combine mayonnaise with lemon juice.
- Pour mayonnaise mixture over biscuit, spread around with spatula to cover completely.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the mayo layer, and sprinkle lightly with black pepper.
- Sprinkle corn over mayonnaise mixture, followed by cooked bacon pieces.
- Bake for 20 - 30 minutes, until cheese has melted and starting to brown.
- Remove the biscuit from the oven and overlap tomatoes on top of biscuit. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, sprinkle with fresh basil before serving.
Serves 8 - 10
Presented by: Tomato Head