Caramel Pecan Squares
Tomato Head's Caramel Pecan Squares
For the crust:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter at room temperature
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg- yolk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place four, salt and sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer.
- With the mixer running on slow speed add the butter, Allow the butter to work into the flour.
- Add the egg and egg yolk and mix until all the egg is incorporated into the dough.
- Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper – going up the sides and folding in the corners.
- Remove parchment from pan – place on counter.
- Place dough onto parchment and sprinkle lightly with flour.
- Using a rolling pin roll the dough to the size of the pan (as close as you can get – you will be able to see how big you need to get from the creases in the paper) place the dough with parchment back in the pan.
- Make necessary adjustments to the paper, and press dough into corners.
- Bake dough for 20 minutes until lightly browned.
For the filing:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 TBL granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3/8 cup heavy cream
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 cups pecan pieces
- In a large skillet melt butter, with brown sugar, granulated sugar, honey, cream and salt.
- Bring mixture to a boil whisking constantly, until butter is incorporated into sugars.
- Add pecans and bring back to boil. Set aside.
- When the crust is cooked – remove from oven, top with pecan mixture and bake for 15 minutes longer. The mixture will look under-cooked and will jiggle slightly, but will come together as it cools.
- When the pecan squares are cool – remove the squares from the pan, by pulling on the parchment.
- Cut into desired size and serve.
- Enjoy with a cup of hot tea, coffer or an ice cold glass of milk.
Presented by: Tomato Head