Jennifer from the Knox County Health Department shows us how to make a healthy and fun dip.
1 medium bell pepper
1 small red onion
2 (15.5 ounce) cans black-eyed peas
1 (15.5 ounce) can corn kernels, no salt added
3 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbsp vinegar
1 tsp cumin
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
1. Rinse and dice bell pepper, removing core and seeds. Peel, rinse, and dice onion.
2. If using, rinse and chop cilantro leaves.
3. In a colander, drain and rinse black-eyed peas and corn.
4. In a large bowl, add pepper, onion, peas, corn, cilantro (if using), and remaining ingredients. Mix well.
· Dried black-eyed peas may be cheaper than canned. If using dried, cook according to package directions until peas are soft but not mushy. Drain, rinse, and add 3 cups cooked peas to salad. Use leftovers in other recipes later in the week.
· Try chilling the salad. Serve it over cooked spinach, kale or collard greens.
· Use any type of vinegar you have on hand. Try balsamic, cider, or red or white wine vinegar.
· Use black beans in place of black-eyed peas if you like.
· When corn is in season, use fresh in place of canned. Cook 4 medium ears of corn. Remove kernels from cob with a knife. Add to salad.
Presented by: Katherine Killen, Knox County Health Dept.