How much did Paltrow share in public? (More than you think.)
Did you see the Gwyneth Paltrow/Chris Martin splitcoming? Celeb-watchers have been keeping a wary eye on the couple for years, helped by quotes Paltrow often supplied herself. Here's a look at 10 cryptic quotes Gwyneth shared about her marriage over the years.
1. On hard times: "I've had a great deal of suffering in my life," Paltrow, who lost her father, Bruce, in 2002, toldGlamour U.K. "I've lost people – my first cousin, my best friend in a car accident. I've had a lot of really heartbreaking, difficult things. But all of those things have strengthened my resolve to make the best of my life."
2. On why she and Martin kept their distance in public: "If I'm looking grumpy in public or if Chris and I leave a restaurant separately, it's only because we don't want to encourage photographers," she toldGood Housekeeping in 2010.
3. On whether she could stay with someone who cheated: "I think that if the idea of being committed to someone is important to you, you begin to value certain parts of your social life over another," Paltrow toldRefinery 29 in September 2013, while promoting her film Thanks For Sharing, which addresses sex addiction. "No couple is the same, and as such, every couple takes on different challenges," she explained. "I would like to think that I would be forgiving and/or forgiven, but I can't give an honest answer as I haven't really experienced that."
4. On not being demanding: "I'm a very grounded, homey person, and Chris is a very mad scientist, genius songwriter," she told Glamour. "So I never say, 'Where are you? You should be home by now.' I never place demands on him, because I think he's a really talented man, and he's putting something good into the world."
5. On 'terrible times': "It's hard being married," she added in the same interview last May. "You go through great times, you go through terrible times. We're the same as any couple."
6. On when to throw the towel in: "I asked my dad once, 'How did you and mom stay married for 33 years?' And he said, 'Well, we never wanted to get divorced at the same time'. And I think that's what happens. ... When two people throw in the towel at the same time, then you break up, but if one person's saying, 'come on, we can do this,' you carry on."
7. On her miscarriage: "It was awful," she told the Daily Mail's You magazine. "It happened really late, and I wasn't expecting it at all. "For a long time I just couldn't understand that it had happened and why. I was like 'But I can't not be pregnant. I'm already past the first trimester, and I have three car seats in my head.' To this day I feel like I'm missing that kid. But it wasn't meant to be and you have to trust the universe."
8. On why privacy is important to Martin: "He makes music for his fans, and he doesn't want people to conjure a lame famous couple when they're getting into his music," Paltrow toldElle in 2011. "I get it."
9. On communication issues: "I definitely have to coax things out of him when we talk," Paltrow admitted in the same interview. "You know, he's British, so it's a different lexicon totally. But you have to communicate. Otherwise there's no relationship."
10. On rumors of a split (in 2011): "Sometimes it's hard being with someone for a long time. We go through periods that aren't all rosy," the actress told Elle. "I always say, life is long and you never know what's going to happen. If, God forbid, we were ever not to be together, I respect him so much as the father of my children. Like, I made such a good choice. He's such a good dad. You can never be relaxed or smug and think, 'I've got this thing.' That's also part of it: keeping yourself on your toes. I'm not going to take this for granted."