24 3 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

A Navy base in Tennessee was temporarily locked down Thursday afternoon following a shooting incident in which two National Guardsmen were wounded by a fellow Guardsman.

CNN reported that a National Guardsman got into a fight with two other Guardsmen just outside the base at about 12;45. One reportedly pulled a gun, shooting one man in the foot and the second in the leg, according to Memphis TV station WMC-TV. Both victims were hospitalized, although the Navy says neither has life-threatening injuries.

The lockdown ended about 90 minutes following the incident after a suspect was taken into custody He was detained by National Guard employees until Millington Police arrived. A law enforcement official who was not authorized to discuss the case publicly told the Associated Press that the shooter was a recruiter who had been relieved of duty.

The sprawling base, known as Naval Support Activity Mid-South, is located in Millington, near Memphis, and is one of Tennessee's largest employers. More than 7,500 military and civilians work at the facility, which serves as a center for Navy personnel, logistical support, recruiting and as a finance center for the Army Corps of Engineers.

Thursday's incident comes just six weeks after Aaron Alexis fatally shot 12 people and injured three others in a mass shooting at Navy Yard in Washington, D.C. Alexis, a government contractor and Navy veteran, died during a gunfight with police.

Previous story

MILLINGTON, Tenn. (AP) - U.S. Navy officials say a suspect is in custody after a shooting on Navy property at a facility in Tennessee.

A tweet on the Navy's official Twitter page says Naval Support Activity Midsouth in Millington, near Memphis, is on lockdown. One person is in custody, according to the Navy.

WMC-TV in Memphis reports that the two victims are in non-critical condition.

A Navy recruiter who had been relieved of duty shot two people at a Navy base north of Memphis and was quickly taken into custody, according to a law enforcement official who had been briefed on the developments.

The injuries were not life-threatening, said that official and another official, both of whom spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the investigation publicly.

24 3 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wbir.com/1gJzlSZ