(WBIR-Knox County) A South Knox County home is a total loss after a house fire caused a propane tank to explode Sunday morning.
For most of the day, Knox County officers blocked Island Home Pike at McClure Lane.The fire started around 10 a.m. at a home just down the road, off Johnson Lane.
Rural Metro and Seymour crews continued fighting flames throughout the day.
Seymour Volunteer Fire Chief Kevin Nunn said nobody was injured in the fire.
"The loss of the structure is going to be the biggest loss here," he said.
Nunn added, the Red Cross and Seymour support services will be assisting the family who lived inside the home.
The property is located near Ijams Nature Center and Forks of the River Wildlife Management Area, and falls under Seymour's jurisdiction. The Knoxville Fire Department and Rural/Metro also responded, arriving after Seymour's crews.
"They were all en route, [it] just took us a while to get to the scene," Nunn said, explaining his team arrived first about 20-25 minutes after the call.
Firefighters faced several challenges as they battled the fire. By the time crews arrived, the middle floor of the home had collapsed, limiting their access to the building. Water was limited, too. Nunn said they found only one hydrant within a mile of the fire, so crews had to run a tanker shuttle of water.
"It's just ultimately frustrating from a water supply and a man power personnel's perspective," he said. "It's hard."
Rob Roy McGregor lives two houses down from the fire location and was frustrated by the response time from assisting fire departments.
"We're block away from Ijams. We're very close to the city of Knoxville, and we're just frustrated we didn't have the city of Knoxville Fire Department out here quickly," he said. "Our neighborhood is growing and we need support from the city and county together."
Another neighbor, Timmy Long, wants more fire hydrants installed nearby.
"They really need to put some up here or at least run a line up here so they can get access to the water, where they won't run out of water," he said.