(WBIR - Knoxville) September is World Alzheimer's Month and a local organization is offering a number of free workshops and tools to learn strategies for caring for family members with Alzheimer's.
The local Home Instead Senior Care office will be holding four training sessions to help people deal with the behaviors associated with Alzheimer's and other dementias.
The Alzehimer's CARE: Changing Aging Through Research and Education workshop schedule:
- Each class is scheduled for 6-8 p.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 1 at Mountain Brook Village Retirement Community, 700 Markhill Drive, Sevierville
- Thursday, Oct. 3 at Home Instead Senior Care, 2412 W. Andrew Johnson Hwy, Morristown
- Tuesday, Oct. 8 at MountainBrook Village Retirement Community
- Thursday, Oct. 10 at Home Instead Senior Care
In addition to the workshop classes, Instead Senior Care has a free at-home kit which includes information on dealing with difficult situations and preventing stress among caregivers.
There's also an app for smartphones, The Alzheimer's and Other Dementias Daily Helper, which is meant to help families find answers when they have to react fast to a difficult situation.