MEDIC Regional Blood Center has put out a critical appeal for blood donations of all types.
MEDIC provides blood to 28 area hospitals. Officials say they have a need for all blood types and are currently back ordered on O positive blood, the most common type. That means they can not fulfill hospital orders.
According to a press release, "This does not mean that hospitals do not have blood, but it does mean that as they call us to ship products to them so they can maintain what they consider adequate inventory for the hospital we do not have it to send. In a very simple way, think of us as the big tankers that refuel the gas stations."
Blood donors must be at least 17-years-old, weigh 110 pounds or more, and have positive identifcation.
Blood drive locations are listed at www.medicblood.org or you can call 865-524-3074.
Blood drive locations for Wednesday:
- Southside Baptist Church, W. Governor John Sevier Hwy, 11am – 6pm
- Grace Baptist Church/Oak Ridge Hwy, 12pm – 6pm
- Fellowship Church/Middlebrook Pike, 1pm – 7pm
- Middlebrook Pike United Methodist Church, 2pm – 8pm
- 1601 Ailor Ave—always open 8am – 6:30pm, Monday through Friday.
- 11000 Kingston Pike/Farragut, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 9am – 7pm; Wednesday and Friday 7am- 5pm.