68 1 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

The Knoxville Fire Department's arson investigators said "a carelessly discarded cigarette is believed to have started" the fire that damaged a West Knoxville apartment building early Saturday morning.

Firefighters evacuated Huntington Place Apartments on Longview Road. KFD received the call around 3:30 a.m. Saturday.

A resident told investigators he woke up initially to the smell of a couch cushion smoldering. He put that fire out and went back to bed. When he woke up again, he said the entire room was on fire.

The 18 unit building suffered significant damage.

The Red Cross said ten units are affected, five of them have severe damage. The Red Cross is assisting some of the residents with affected units.

When crews arrived on scene, the top of one of the buildings was completely engulfed in flames.

"When we first got here there was flames coming through roof," KFD spokesperson D.J. Corcoran said. "Firefighters made an aggressive attack on the flames while looking through the units looks for any individuals. We did a primary, secondary search and we feel pretty comfortable there is no one inside."

Knoxville firefighters said no one was hurt in the fire.

As of 5:30 a.m. crews had the flames under control.

An estimated 35 Knoxville Firefighters responded to the call.

68 1 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wbir.com/19Rxrsg