SHARE 1 COMMENTMORE

(WBIR-Knoxville) A couple from Vermont flew to East Tennessee to met an ADT employee who helped save them from deadly levels of carbon dioxide.

"Whenever you get a carbon monoxide alarm it's very serious to the customer. It's colorless, odorless, poisonous, tasteless. I mean, they don't know. It's so easy to disregard something you can't see," said ADT dispatcher Mitch Shubert.

Shubert called the O'Conner family in Vermont last month after their security system activated, warning ADT's monitoring center in Knoxville of the gas. Shubert told the family that firefighters were on their way and told them to get out of the house.

Once on scene, first responders discovered high levels of deadly carbon monoxide in the basement.

The O'Connors say Shubert played an important role in saving their lives.

"Don't think it really sunk in until days later when you start looking at the things you love - your husband, your family, your animals - and you start thinking, 'wow this was a really close call for us,'" said Terri and Sean O'Connor.

Firefighters said the high carbon monoxide levels were caused by a malfunctioning 12-volt battery.